Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All I wanted for Christmas were my front teeth



I had root canal's on these two teeth


Steph and Lisa found my tooth!


That's what the nerve looks like when its exposed... I can't explain how bad it felt.

My busted up chin with stitches.



November 21, 2009 - A few of my girlfriends, Mike and I went to a local bar/restaurant for some drinks. The night was great, we were all having a great time hanging out and dancing. We migrated to another room and hung out there. Music was still bumping and we were all talking and dancing a little. The floor we were on was stone tile material and someone had spilled water or some clear liquid on the ground. I was standing with my friends Sara and Steph, Mike was with other friends across the way and saw my little accident.


I slipped on the liquid... I fell so fast I didn't have time to put my hands in front of me to catch myself. So my face broke my fall. I didn't get up, I was on the floor for a few seconds so then everyone freaked out because I wasn't moving. Sara and Steph picked me up. Mike ran over and kept asking me if I was okay. He couldn't hear me because the music was so loud and because my hand was over my mouth. He then moved my hand from my face and my mouth was full of blood and it was dripping all over the floor (and some on my friends-sorry about that). Then everyone realized we were standing in a bloody mess. Mike then needed to get me into some light. One security guard came over and told Mike we couldn't be inside and we needed to go outside. Mike was upset and said "you're not throwing us out of here, I need light to see if she's okay" the security guard told Mike we had to leave again and "Mike told him no and he said we're not leaving the building until he could see the damage and get me into some light"... Another security guard came over and was much nicer and told us that he saw my fall and said it was a complete accident. He saw me slip on the puddle of water. They brought me into the office at the bar and from there Mike realized he had to get me to the ER. Two of my girlfriends Steph and Lisa went back to find my tooth. A security guard helped them out with a flashlight... They think someone kicked my tooth because they found it kinda far from when I had fallen. Lisa had the bartender give her a cup of milk to preserve my tooth.

I left the bar with a huge chunk of ice on my mouth and chin. Mike drove me to the ER... once we walked in the girl behind the desk at the ER said "Hey Mike, what's up!? I love your honeymoon photos I saw on Facebook!" Mike knows this girl from highschool. So I was standing there for about 30 seconds and we were seen immediately. There were other people there waiting before me but she somehow got us in quickly. Then I started throwing up from the alcohol and from swallowing so much blood. They gave me a shot in one arm to keep me from throwing up because it was bad for my open wounds. Then they gave me a tetanus shot in my other arm and that my friends is a painful painful shot! My arm is still throbbing right now. They cleaned me up and put stitches in my chin and said they couldn't do much for the tooth. They also gave me a CAT scan of my head. They couldn't give me any pain medication until they were sure I didn't have any head injuries. Thank God, no head injuries and then they gave me pain medication.

They sent us on our way and we went home. Mike put me to bed and then immediately emailed my dentist, Dr. Toorani. After that he had to find a 24 hour pharmacy, since the economy is so sucky right now most 24 hour pharmacies close early. So he found one in the next city over to get my vicodin. I woke up in the morning in terrible pain. Where I broke my tooth left the nerve exposed which was extremely painful anytime air touched it or my tongue touched it. I had a hell of a time trying to take my pills and even drink water.

My dentist is so wonderful... he checked his email and called Mike right at 8:00am he told Mike the office was closed but I have a great relationship with Dr. Toorani and he's just an amazing dentist all around. So Dr. T said he'd open up the office and have his wife watch his kids so he can come in and check on my teeth. Dr. T took excellent care of me. He's referred me to an endodontist to do my root canals. Yeah, I needed two! And the first one needed to be done the next day.

For the pain, Dr. Toorani numbed me up really good so that I could get some food in my stomach. I hadn't been able to eat or drink since my nerve was exposed and caused terrible pain. He gave me an anesthetic they give patients when they perform surgeries because it lasted about 8 hours. He also glued my tooth on just temporarily so I have some protection of the nerve. This way I'll be in less pain and can eat better even after the numbness wears off.

Vicodin has been my friend for the pain and the antibiotics fought possible chance of blood infection. I felt like a walking sore... Like I got hit by a truck.... in the face!!! Thank God it wasn't worse.

Its been 2 1/5 months since the accident and I've already had about 8 dental visits. I now have a new smile, and my teeth look great. Oh and my chin has healed up nicely, the scar isn't bad at all.

The end result for my teeth is basically:
2 root canals
1 post
2 crowns
2 veneers
1 new set of retainers
and now I can finally bite into a burger.... carefully.









.

No comments:

Post a Comment